Friday, November 14, 2008


Yes, we did, I helped. It is change I can believe in, but really- Barack Obama is not the Messiah. This is a good start, but he's not paying my rent, or buying me an iPhone. I can't call him up when I need a wingman. He won't have the perfect chord when I get stuck writing a progression. The buses still won't run on time. He's not going to hook my housemate up with a cool girlfriend. He isn't interested in whether or not M can remain in a monogamous relationship. That one sock will still get lost in the wash. If you're stuck in traffic, he won't tell you where to turn. He's not going to un-crazy your job, and contrary to my photo manipulations, he can't walk on water.

Then again, I don't want my president to do any of that. A president should be too busy presidenting to deal with the everyday details of the rest of us. Which is where you come in. Bring "Yes, we can" to a personal level: "Yes, I can." I don't have to spell it out, do I?

1 comment:

anon said...

Actually, funny story.

So it's election night, and Chaser and I are mid the several thousand people packed into the Westin Hotel which has been serving as the Democratic Party Seattle headquarters. Needless to say, everyone was drunk, and as I read in the paper the next day (but was to drunk at the time to even notice) there was a giant bar made completely of ice with a giant ice-sculpture donkey on top. Seriously. It was there. And I was so drunk I didn't even see it even though I'm pretty sure I was standing next to it for almost an hour at one point.

Anyway, so Obama finishes his address from Grant Park, and the croud is fucking erupting, my ears are ringing from the screaming, and Chase grabs me, spins me around, dips me by the waist, and kisses me--movie style. And then, when I was righted again, I looked up into his big fucking blue eyes and thought "shit, here we are in this brave new world" and then I thought something else that I actually said out loud.

And it was recently returned.

So maybe he should be interested in whether or not I can stay in this monogomous relationship--because he definitely had a hand in it, haha.

Oh, and just in case you weren't catching what I was throwing there, I refer to none other than Ye Olde ILY.
--M

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States