Friday, October 17, 2008

A Life Is Death Situation

No, I'm not depressed, or feeling morbid. The only Suicidal Tendencies I have got thrown out with my cassette collection. I just read a great quote from Katharine Hepburn, who said, "of course life is hard- it kills you doesn't it?"

Eye luff hurr

Seriously, death is the leading cause of lives lost in the world. Imagine how little fear would be left if we didn't die. Nice thought, huh? Well guess what? You're going to die, so get over it. Like Pops would say, "are you living, or just existing?"

When I was really little- er... young- I loved heights. I used to love running across the Royal Gorge Bridge in Colorado (the world's highest suspension bridge- 1 mile above the Arkansas River). Then I got older, and realized that if I was on something really high up, I could fall off and get injured. I didn't like heights so much anymore. A little later it occurred to me that the worst that could happen would be dying, which I've never done before- and no one has told me empirically what it is like- and which I'm going to have to do sometime, so why worry about it?

Some would think that this attitude is too morbid and and devalues life, but it is quite the opposite. Look at how much fear is in our lives, and how so many of us are hiding our true selves because of it. We are afraid of heights because we are afraid of falling. We're afraid of falling because we don't know how we'll land, and if we don't land just right, we might not get back up. So we don't climb the heights, and miss out on something life has to offer us. We don't let go of our preconceived notions and allow ourselves to fall and find that there might be someone or something there to catch us, or that we might just land on our feet.

...or we might not, but since it really doesn't matter, what are we afraid of?     

No comments:

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States