Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Second Person

Keenan is drunk as he writes this. In his drunkenness he has clarity. A certain lack of inhibition allows him to document truth. This is also his chance to write the long awaited (in his mind) Post In Second Person.

So, Keenan is smitten. He feels a sense of adoration. He is cryptically (and the next word will make it obvious whom he writes about, if only to whom he writes about) appreciative of the new friend he has made.

Now here it is, tying in to previous posts about seeking a special someone, and about breaking The Rule of Mates. He realizes that if that special someone actually reads this, it will most likely throw her into a bout of turmoil and indecision, because hypersensitivity to emotional situations is how she rolls. However, Strong and Wrong is how Keenan rolls. If things go in his favor, Keenan is not wrong, and isn't going too strong.  Breaking The Rule of Mates is something he does not take lightly, nor is it something she feels strongly about. But the (drunken) truth is, rightness has no bounds.  That's not a Dubya sort of "god is on our side" manner of rightness, but a John Cusack with a boombox over his head manner of rightness.

1 comment:

anon said...

YES!!!
I love, love, LOVE this.

I love this because not only have I recently broken number #12 of The Rule of Mates, but also because I plan on posting about it in...um...give me a half hour.

Also, because I had my own "boombox over head" moment, and first, yes, it was blaring "I'll Drink To This Love Song" and then it was singing "Magic Hour" and yet somehow I wasn't so sad when the mixtape played on and "We're Just Friends" rounded out the midnight-in Seattle-on-a-proverbial-streetcorner set.

Hooray for balls-out Keen. I love him.
--M

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States