Thursday, August 21, 2008

This is only a test

I recently read an article from the BBC about a writer who is giving up plastic for a month (A month without plastic), which got me thinking, what would I give up for a month, and why? 

So first, a month without plastic. The rules are: no new plastic products may be bought, or used. I'm going to say Netflix is OK, because it is a recycled resource. No going to the movies, because the tickets are coated with plastic. No buying wine with plasticized rubber corks. No buying canned food because of the plastic lining. No pasta, no yogurt, no bottled water, no juice, no microwave meals in plastic trays, no disposable razors, no liquid soap, no pens, no Sharpies, no cars, no batteries, no flashlights, no vibrators (no problem), no prescription drugs (you never know), no multi packs of toilet paper, no new clothes, no coffee without bringing my own mug (I don't make my own. I just don't. Ever). That's just what I can come up with off the top of my head, if I actually thought about it, I would know for sure that I wouldn't want to give up plastic completely for a month. It does make me think about ways to reduce plastic consumption, and realize that it is over-used in modern society.

Next.
 
My friend D used to give up drinking every year for Lent, even though she wasn't Catholic, which I always thought was kinda weird. I didn't think it was weird that she was not Catholic and would give up something for Lent, but that she would give up drinking. A few days and a cranberry juice i.v. is fine here and there- but a month? That really isn't an option.

OK, how about a month without sex? Oh, right...

A month without computers? That would make a cool daily blog.

I've already given up high fructose corn syrup, cars, crack, Catholicism, words that don't start with "C", and swizzle sticks. What else is there?

Got it. I'm giving up exclusion.

1 comment:

anon said...

I could think of some things I could easily give up for a month!

Hmm...monogamy, death, sobriety, wealth, socks,
working, driving, drinking gin, living alone...I mean, come on man! The list goes on and on!

It counts if they're things you already don't do, right?
--M

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States