Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Not Quite Big But Conceivably Very Large Bang

I'm not a scientist, but I do think Dr Giovanna Tinetti is really hot. She's an astrobiologist and has absolutely nothing to do with the Large Hadron Super Collider, but so what? As I'm writing this, two beams of protons are being shot towards each other in a 17 mile tunnel under France and Switzerland at nine-tenths the speed of light. The goal is to create the Higgs boson, which is said to be the God Particle, or the origin of matter created after the Big Bang. It could also create dark matter, which would give physicists a better understanding of the atomic structure of the universe. That's all pretty cool, but even better than that, there is the infinitesimally small chance that all of those subatomic particles bouncing around could spawn antimatter, which would eat other microscopic particles, getting anti-bigger until it created a black hole and destroyed the Earth. Then we would have a choice- we either sacrifice Mother Angelina and St Brad's media coverage, or Tom Cruise's ego to save the world.

1 comment:

anon said...

K--
I have been OBSESSED with this super collider thing--and have been reading every thing I can get my internet-savvy mitts on. The terrible part? I was so dissapointed to find out that the only reason the Higgs Boson is called the god particle is because it [theoretically] ascribes mass to any particle that has mass (read: like lead, not light).
Although it still seems slightly romantic--i.e. 'the gentle hand of Higgs Boson making things that are truly be'--I've definitely lost that sense of beautiful irrationality surrounding the whole thing.

That's why I hope it never works, mwuhahahahaha!!!
--M

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States