Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Nuclear Option

I've always believed there are two types of people- people that believe there are two types of people, and people who don't. I am both immoveable object and unstoppable force in the latter camp. However, for the sake of having a blog more than four sentences long, I will say there are two types of people in the world- those who commune with nature, and those who believe wearing flip-flops is never an option.

I went hiking once on a playa in New Mexico wearing silk pajamas. My idea of communing with wildlife is people watching at a bridge & tunnel bar at happy hour on a Friday. The best thing about the great outdoors is that it makes me truly appreciate temperature controlled buildings and chilled martini glasses. On the other hand- wearing a flashlight strapped to your head may be practical at night, but it looks mental. Why does all camping gear have to be orange and grey?

I went camping last weekend, and a lot of people think that it is an exceedingly uncharacteristic thing for me to do. Those people didn't read the last post, so they don't know that I'm a superhero, and I do what I want. I'm not a survivalist, I am a survivor. I don't believe in the impossible, I believe in things that just haven't been figured out yet. So yes, I pitched a tent in the dark, I cooked over an open flame, and drank cocktails without ice. 

But I DID NOT wear flip-flops.

No comments:

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States