Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Victoria (and every other woman)'s Secret

There is a question that has been perplexing me for quite some time now. I should preface this question by stating that it is not one of a prurient nature (I got that word of off an adult video package):

What's with women walking around in their underwear?

No, I haven't seen a rash of lingerie models prancing through the streets. What I'm getting at, is one comment that I hear frequently in relation to living situations.


"When you move out, I'll probably look for a girl room-mate so I can walk around in my underwear."

"You're going to be gone for the weekend? Call me if you come back early, in case I'm walking around in my underwear."

"The great thing about living on my own is being able to walk around in my underwear."


Do women really walk around in their underwear
that much? I hardly ever walk around in my skivvies (I know I don't have any, but for the sake of argument...), and the guys I've lived with only did it first thing in the morning when they walked from the bedroom to the bathroom. Sure, there are those guys who sit in front of the TV in their boxers, scratching their bits, eating pork rinds and watching football. I don't think, however, that these guys pine away for privacy or all male surroundings to indulge in those pastimes.

Granted, a dude laying on the couch in his Calvin's is vastly different than a chick doing the same in her Vickie's. But to hear it from several ladies in my lifetime, it sounds like the first thing they do when they walk in the front door is strip down. I can understand a lady not wanting to be ogled if she decides not to wear a bra under her shirt while she's puttering around the house, but all of these statements ended with the exact phrase, "in my underwear."

Seriously, Bill Moyers needs to get a PBS special on this.

No comments:

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States