Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Senatus consultum de Bacchanalibus

OK, I've been single for a long time. This was not a conscious decision, I didn't come to any conclusions or weigh any evidence for or against anything- it just rolled out like that.

My entire adult life, I've believed that marriage is an antiquated institution, and there are enough children in the world that I don't need to make one from scratch. That attitude may be a deal breaker for some, and may be catnip for others. For me, it isn't relevant to being in a committed relationship. T&P set the bar by being together for years, saying no to marriage and kids, then limboing under the bar to get married anyway. Then there's P&A, who jumped into marriage head first with a wedding party that made Bacchanalia look like a Thanksgiving parade, but also was where I have never (before or since) heard the words "I love you" spoken with more emotional content. It comes down to two sides of the same coin, and you either want to be with someone or you don't.

On that note, I have made a decision on whether I want to be with someone or not, and whether I want to be with someone or not.

First interpretation: It's high time I got me one o' them ladyfriends.

Second interpretation: Here's where things get... difficult...

(and rather personal)

She and I have never talked about "us," so writing about it doesn't seem too brazen. I'll be brief and rather vague about it in a run-on sentence. Here it goes:

I was crazy about her from the beginning but she was dating someone so I let it go until I found out she wasn't dating someone anymore so I went for it and thought it was going well till she told me about the other other dude but she still wanted to be friends and I said OK because I'm not a bitter, resentful, aggro-dude (or I'm a naive shlub), but now I think we really can't because it's doing the same thing over and over again, knowing full well that it won't turn out the way I want but hoping that it will anyway, which is insane and since I'm only crazy, I should step away from the woman before I start to need therapy.


No comments:

My photo
San Francrisco, CA, United States